I’ve been an entrepreneur and business owner for my career. In my role as a CEO I believed my main responsibility was to clarify and achieve the organizational initiatives. And because execution happens at an individual level I also believed it was my responsibility to drive execution throughout the company. When I founded a medical manufacturing company in 1984 I learned early on about the importance of systems. However, I never found a system that helped me clarify and achieve the organizational initiatives or one that drove performance throughout the company. That system didn’t exist then.
It does today!
A high-quality strategy execution management system is a system that emphasizes the people. It drives the processes that encourage clarity, alignment, and engagement. It promotes communication, accountability, and transparency. It allows people to actually make a difference in an organization and be rewarded for their contributions. And most of all, it allows organizations to consistently execute their strategic plan each year.
So what does a good strategy execution management system look like? It should:
- Clarify expectations across the organization.
- Communicate the vision, mission, values, and strategic initiatives of the organization.
- Align individual responsibilities and goals to strategic initiatives.
- Engage employees at all levels in both the determination and the management of expectations and goals.
- Drive regular communication between manager and employee through a series of regular progress meetings throughout the year.
- Be dynamic, allowing for changes at any level as circumstances warrant.